At present the Club’s face to face meetings at Needhams Hall have had to be suspended. For the new season starting in September 2021 we have an exciting programme lined up but at the moment we will continue to run these using the Zoom videoconferencing app until it is safe to return to meeting in person once again. This is likely to be after Christmas 2021, but we will update this website as the situation continues.
Ely Photographic Club extends a warm welcome to all photographers, or people wanting to take up this hobby. Formed in 1974 the club currently has around 35 Members. We have a varied and interesting programme of events throughout the season that can be viewed on our Events Page, and which include the following types of event:
- Talks and presentations from experienced photographers about their speciality, or special places they have visited, with the emphasis on them sharing how they approach their photography. These talks can currently include speakers from farther away than usual, as the Zoom app means that distance from them to us is not an issue
- Workshops run by external photographers or experienced Members to help improve your photographic and processing skills, utilising software programs such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Nik etc. We have also introduced our monthly Advanced Photography Group meetings, which aim to help members improve their image taking and post-processing skills
- We have Projected Digital Image (PDI) competitions where members can enter up to 3 images and have these judged by external qualified Judges. This is a great way to have your work critiqued in a safe environment with like-minded people, and it will help to develop your skill in putting together a well presented competition image
- Although we normally have Print competitions where Members print and mount their own work, these have not being held recently due to the Covid-19 situation, and were temporarily replaced with extra pdi competitions. We are planning that in 2022 we will be able to reinstate these print events, which go through the same judging process as pdi’s, with a qualified judge critiquing the mounted prints.
- We usually try to run an exhibition of members prints in Ely Cathedral each year in the autumn, dependant on the availability of the venue, and this runs for a whole month. Members are able to sell their prints at this exhibition.
- We have several experienced Members that are happy to share their expertise to help fellow Members develop their photographic skills. We also have some informal evening and daytime meet-ups during the summer where club members meet up to photograph local scenes, as well as other meetings which are open to potential new members. These meeting will be publicised on our Events page on this website also.
The club normally meets at Ely College in Needhams Hall on Wednesday evenings from 7.30pm to 9.30pm during September to May, excluding school holidays. Our annual membership subscription would normally cost £50 (pro-rata rates apply for people joining during the season) but this year we are offering a very special discounted rate of £35, which is great value and works out to less than £1 per meeting! We would encourage potential new members to come along on up to 3 occasions as a guest free of charge before deciding whether to join, to see if our Club meets your expectations. If you wish to do this it is best to contact us in advance and we can provide you with more information. (At present we would also need to set you up with access to meetings via the Zoom app).
If you would like more information about the club or you are thinking about joining us, please get in touch by filling in the ‘Contact Us’ form on this website. We will then respond to you as quickly as possible.
|Position||Name||Mobile number||Email address|
|Vice Chair||Andrew Hunt||07802 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Club Secretary||Phil Lenneyemail@example.com|
|Programme Secretary||Nick Bowman||07976 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|PDI Secretary||Andrew Hunt||07802 email@example.com|
|Print Secretary||Kevin Pigney||07944 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Social Media Organiser||Glynis Piersonemail@example.com|
|Advanced Photography Group Organiser||John Harveyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Outings Organiser||Viv Houghtonemail@example.com|
|Assistant Outing organiser||Shirley Eastwood|
Member Website links
Some of our members also have websites of their own which are listed below, but again this list will be added to over time. Club members who would like their web presence listed here should advise the club, providing their URL details.